5 TOP reasons why I love India:
1) People. So many of them.More than digestible number of people under poverty line. But still they have smiles on their faces when they greet someone.
Population : 1,241,491,960 as of 2011
So,one out of six people on this planet live in India. Thats a lot of us :p
2) There are still very few old people living alone. Joint Families still rock here!
3) There might be corruption all around but when I ask and reason, I do get things done through the government officers without paying a penny. I haven't paid bribes till now to get things done here.
4) The cultural vastness. The linguistic vastness. Its like visiting so many countries when I travel from North to South or from West to East.
The Indian census of 1961 recognized 1,652 different languages in India. Phew! I know only 5 out of these. Long long way to go!
5) The festivals. We have tonnes of them, religion no bar. Be it Diwali or Id or Christmas , we have a festive spirit in the air , throughout the year.
I am not exaggerating but there is one festival each calendar day, in some or the other part of India. Not whole of India might celebrate the day or even know of it but for some people its celebration time.
As if we have less festivals of our own, we even celebrate many of the foreign holidays now as a result of outsourcing and IT industries. We love celebrating our Valentine's day, Mother's day, Father's day, etc borrowed from other countries.
So Indians, what do you like most about our country?
And non-Indians, Have you ever visited the country?